The two matchas made in heaven--matcha and strawberry or hōjicha and strawberry--make for an upgraded version of your chocolate-covered strawberries.
Makes 10 strawberries
10 medium strawberries
1 tsp matcha powder or hojicha powder
114 g white chocolate
1. Wash and dry your strawberries thoroughly. Insert two toothpicks 1 inch into each side of the green tops of the strawberries (pictured below).
2. Melt your chocolate by 1) microwaving at 50% power for 30 seconds at a time or 2) putting it in a metal bowl over a pot of lightly simmering water. Stir the chocolate until completely melted and it has a glossy texture. If you used the stove method, turn off the stove now.
3. Sift the matcha powder or hōjicha powder into the melted chocolate and stir until dissolved.
4. Holding the toothpicks and the stems with your thumb and index finger, dip the strawberry on its side into the chocolate and rotate until the strawberry has been covered. Lay strawberries on a non-stick surface like wax paper to dry.
5. Repeat Step 4 for each strawberry. If you used the microwave method, you may need to re-microwave for another 15-30 seconds. If you used the stove method, then the chocolate should stay relatively warm since it is sitting over warm water.
9. Decorate (optional) and enjoy (not optional)!