Updated: Dec 14, 2022
Brownies using houjicha (roasted green tea) powder have a divine malty, chocolate-like sweetness! Houjicha is naturally sweet and nutty, making it the perfect substitute for cocoa powder or chocolate.
Recipe (adapted from No Recipes)
Makes 16 brownies
100 g all-purpose flour
16 g houjicha powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
100 g white chocolate (Ghirardelli White Chocolate Baking Bar)
80 g unsalted butter
150 g sugar (for those who want a slightly less sweet version use 125 g)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 320 F. Line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper.
2. Sift and combine all the dry ingredients (all-purpose flour, houjicha powder, baking powder, and salt).
3. Melt the white chocolate in the microwave at 50% power for 90 seconds. Add in the butter to the white chocolate and microwave for another 15-30 seconds until melted (but not boiling). Whisk to combine until you get a smooth, consistent texture.
4. Whisk in the eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract with the chocolate mixture.
5. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet mixture using a spatula until the texture is just uniform. Do not overmix.
6. Pour the brownie batter into the pan. Give it a gentle bang before popping it into the oven for 17-19 minutes.
7. Wait for the brownies to cool before cutting and serving. Enjoy the brownies with a houjicha latte!