Chasen (Bamboo Whisk)
75–80 string chasen (bamboo whisk)
- Handcrafted in Nara, Japan, specifically in the village of Takayama where the craft of making chasen has been perfected over five centuries
- Suitable for making usucha (thin matcha) as it creates a microfoam texture; also suitable for whisking hōjicha powder
- Comes with a ceramic white stand (as shown)
How to Properly Take Care of Your Chasen
- Before the first use, submerge the chasen in hot water for at least 60 seconds. This will allow for the inner and outer bristles to unfurl and soften. For later uses, submerge for 30 seconds before whisking.
- When whisking, do not press the chasen into the bowl. Use quick back-and-forth motions along the bottom surface of the bowl to best aerate the matcha. Try not to let the bristles scratch against the bottom of the bowl.
- Rinse the chasen before placing it back on the stand. The stand helps the chasen maintain its shape.
- Do not soak in water for extended periods of time.
- Do not place in dishwasher.