Updated: Nov 15
Brownies using hojicha (roasted green tea) powder have a divine malty, chocolate-like sweetness! Hojicha is naturally sweet and nutty, making it the perfect substitute for cocoa powder or chocolate. Try out this recipe for Hojicha brownies!
Recipe (adapted from No Recipes)
Makes 16 brownies
100 g all-purpose flour
16 g hojicha powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
100 g white chocolate (Ghirardelli White Chocolate Baking Bar)
80 g unsalted butter
150 g sugar (for those who want a slightly less sweet version use 125 g)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 320 F. Line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper.
2. Sift and combine all the dry ingredients (all-purpose flour, hojicha powder, baking powder, and salt).
3. Melt the white chocolate in the microwave at 50% power for 90 seconds. Add in the butter to the white chocolate and microwave for another 15-30 seconds until melted (but not boiling). Whisk to combine until you get a smooth, consistent texture.
4. Whisk in the eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract with the chocolate mixture.
5. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet mixture using a spatula until the texture is just uniform. Do not overmix.
6. Pour the brownie batter into the pan. Give it a gentle bang before popping it into the oven for 17-19 minutes.
7. Wait for the brownies to cool before cutting and serving. Enjoy the brownies with a hojicha latte!